To be notified for accessibility news, please email email@example.com
Sign up to receive email communications about meetings and training offerings related to accessibility, specifically for developers.
Yale ITS believes that learning accessibility and front-end best practices should be an ongoing, permanent process of training and skills development. To support developers’ continuing education, the Digital Accessibility Team is hosting monthly brown-bags where developers can bring their lunches and learn something about accessibility that they can begin implementing right away.
In general, trainings will occur at 25 Science Park Room 125 from 12:00-1:15pm. But, we’ll be happy to look for other locations around campus.
Trainings from 2018 include:
- April 2: A gentle introduction to accessibility
- May 15: Headings and Landmarks
- June 12: Keyboard Operability
- July 17: Semantics: Links & Buttons
- August 14: Semantics: Images & Tables
- September 18: Accessible Forms 1 (Video Recording)
- October 16: Accessibility Forms 2 (Video Recording)
- November 8: Introduction to Interactions (Video Recording)
- December 17: Complex Interactions and Status Updates (Video Recording)
Trainings for 2019 to come.
Online Training and Resources
We recommend the following training resources for developers:
Free and paid trainings are also available. The following are a sample of reputable online trainings:
- Deque University offers online, self paced learning available for purchase.
- Udacity offers a free developer-centric accessibility course.
- Teach Access offers a brief, code- and design-centric view of accessibility, with interactive exercises.
- The Web Accessibility Initiative offers online tutorials for basic concepts aimed at developers.
- The W3C’s ARIA authoring practices document offers demonstrations of most development patterns developers should know.
- WebAIM offers in depth explanation of accessibility issues and on-site training for a fee.
- Mozilla’s Accessibility tutorials are comprehensive and in depth for developers