Usability means “ease of use.” Focusing on usability will help you make better websites that are pleasant and useful.
Why Should I Care about Usability?
Sites and applications we design are only useful if they are usable.
Focusing on usability ensures that you:
- Think first about the tasks your users need to accomplish
- Help reduce frustration
- Improve user satisfaction
- Create more cost-effective solutions, by helping users accomplish their goals more quickly and easily
What Affects Usability
Whether your site or application is easy to use depends on several factors:
- Learnability - How easy is it for me to use it for the first time?
- Efficiency - After using your site, how quickly can I perform essential tasks?
- Memorability - If I return to the site after not using it for some time, how easily can I pick it up again?
- Errors - How many errors do I make, and how easy is it to recover from errors?
- Satisfaction - How pleasant is it to use?